Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Week 5 - Excellence in Communication

In all honesty, the reading this week was unnecessary in my opinion. I started reading the chapter thinking, "okay, yeah this makes sense, I understand why you would do that." Then it just got simply repetitive and way too extensive. The message that was being expressed was very simple and could have been presented in a much simpler manner. The major thing to take away is that you have to choose your forms of communication depending on your audience and also choose the message you're sending depending on the audience. I thought the fact that they discussed instant messaging through an entire section of the chapter was a bit ridiculous. The difference between instant messaging, emails, and letters are very apparent. Each one of them is different for whatever message it may be you're trying to get across, simple as that. I have been writing emails my whole life and think I have a pretty decent grasp on being able to successfully write an impactful and professional email, bringing me to wonder what the purpose of the reading was for me specifically. Don't get me wrong, several parts of the reading was helpful and there were some good tips to throw in my bag of email conventions, but overall it was some pretty simple material.

No comments:

Post a Comment